Introducing a Brand New Series!
The Ontario 4v4 Circuit (O4C) is a provincial circuit of mixed and single-gender 4v4 tournaments. We have two types of tournaments in the circuit – standard and Ontario Ultimate sanctioned sectionals. Standard tournaments are once a month throughout the 4v4 season (November – April) and are small, “quick-hit” tournaments, typically four hours of non-stop play. Team ratings develop as teams play in multiple standard events and reflect a team’s standings throughout the circuit. Some tournaments have been sanctioned by Ontario Ultimate, the main Ultimate Provincial Sport Organization, and have been expanded to a 2-day format to accommodate proper bracket play to qualify for Ontario 4v4 Ultimate Championships (O4UC, a qualifier for the Canadian 4v4 Ultimate Championships C4UC, held in Montreal, April 2018). See sectional regions below. If you are unsure where your region is after consulting the table below, contact us!
If you are interested in participating one of the 2-day tournaments but are not interested in accepting a bid to play O4UC, you can let us know when you register the team.
|Region||Cities encompassed||Initial Bid Allocation|
|North Sectionals||North Bay, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, Thunder Bay, etc.||1|
|East Sectionals||Ottawa, Kingston, Belleville, etc.||4|
|South Sectionals||Toronto, Barrie, Peterborough, Durham, Whitby, etc.||4|
|West Sectionals||Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo, London, St. Catherines, etc.||3|
*sanctioned by Ontario Ultimate
|Nefarious November, standard||November 25, 2017, Toronto|
|Dreamy December, standard||December 16, 2017, Toronto|
|Hammer 4v4, West sectional*||January 6-7, 2018, Brantford|
|Northern 4v4, North sectional*||January 14, 2018, Sault Ste. Marie|
|Frontenac 4v4, East Sectional*||January 20-21, 2018, Kingston|
|Jazzy January, South sectional*||January 27-28, 2018, Toronto|
|Flashy February, standard||February 10, 2018, Toronto|
|Ontario 4v4 Ultimate Championship*||February 17-18, 2018, Toronto|
|Open and Women’s 4v4, standard||March 10, 2018, Toronto|
|Electric City 4v4, standard||March 17, 2018, Peterborough|
|March Mayhem, standard||March TBD, Toronto|
|London Fire 4v4, standard||March TBD, London|
|Foolish Fours, standard||April TBD, Toronto|
The 4v4 Variation follows the USA Ultimate 11th Edition Rules with the following exceptions:
- Games are played by teams of 4 on the field with a gender ratio of 2/2 (See UC’s 2017 annoucement, note our transgender inclusivity policy).
- The playing field size is a rectangle shape measuring 18m x 30m. Endzones are 3m deep.
- Only 2 pulls every game: at the beginning of the game and after halftime. Each team pulls once.
- Brick mark is set at 2m in front of the endzone line.
- After a point is scored, the disc is left in the endzone at the spot in which it was caught. Play restarts in that same endzone (i.e., no pull after every point). The team that was scored upon checks the disc in play once the defence is ready.
- Maximum 30 second delay between points. Play resumes when either:
- 30 seconds have elapsed, or
- Both teams are ready through a check.
- If 25 seconds elapses and the offense has not put the disc in play, then defense warns the offense and counts down from 5, after ‘1’ has been said aloud the defense may begin to count stalls. If 25 seconds have elapsed and the defense is not ready, then the offense warns the defense and begins to count down from 5. After ‘1’ has been said aloud, the offense may put the disc into play.
- Players may only sub on and off the field between points or from an injury timeout.
- 3-minute halftime at the scheduled midpoint of the game.
- Teams switch sides at the half.
- Teams have 1 timeout per half.
- A timeout lasts 60 seconds.
- Before a game begins, the Captains should agree on a time piece if a clock is not easily visible from the playing field.
As mentioned above, team ratings develop as teams participate in multiple standard events. This helps us record historical data of 4v4 Ultimate communities – and it’s fun!
To have ratings carry over between events, teams must:
- use the same team name
- retain a minimum 50% of playing roster
We use USA Ultimate rankings algorithm with minor adjustments.